Update:


In case you haven't noticed, there is an additional child in our family photo. I would like you all to meet the newest member of our family. She is the pretty little 7 year old in the purple dress. "Eloise" now has a little sister. We have decided to call her, "Amelia Bedelia".

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I'm Sew Lovin My Chrismas Present!

I started with the dress I made last night, added the vest Eloise got for Christmas, made a gathered skirt & matching bandanna, and voila here is the finished product.
My hubby has been working on his router techniques (his mom got him a set of bits last Christmas) so he plans to build Eloise a wooden amoir to hang all of her doll clothes in when her next Birthday rolls around (shhh ...it's a secret.)
I'm not sure about Eloise, but I know I would love to still have some of the wooden things my Dad made for me (i.e. rocking horse, cradle, etc...)
I would also love to have just one of the many crafty things my Mom made for me in the wee hours of the night.
I always remember being so amazed when I was a child because I would go to sleep and when I woke up it was as if my mother could work magic in the night.
The whole house would be rearranged and spotless and there would be the best costume ever hanging on my door.
She could make a costume out of almost nothing!
My mother didn't have the money to buy things like patterns
and duct tape was her favorite tool.
Thanks Mom for teaching me how to be creative and persistent.
I LOVE YOU.
I hope Eloise has a few fond memories of her mommy working a bit of midnight magic too.

5 comments:

Mama B said...

Hello! What a creative lady you are! The clothes are so cute!

We've all been getting over a cold/flu junk, and I took a few minutes of relaxation time to watch your dvd with my girls. I certainly was sniffly, and not just from my sickness. What a heartbreaking story! Those of us who have never experienced real hardships like that are truly touched ~ and encouraged ~ by your response to the storm. I love how your church family banded together to clean up the messes (wow!) I pray for all of you to be blessed. I wanted to know, too, were you able to reclaim your original homes? Or did you have to move?

Thank you again for such a singular gift!

Hugs and blessings,
Michele

Kristi said...

Miss Riya,

I love your creations. Did you buy a pattern or just work it up yourself?

Miss Riya said...

Michelle- My parents bought, rennovated, and sold my old house so that I could buy the house that I am currently living in. This house was stripped down to the studs as well, but we figured if we were going to start from scratch we might as well move into the kind of house we planned to retire in. So here we are. Actually this house is just a couple of blocks from my old house. Most of my friends rebuilt their existing homes.

Kristi- I followed a pattern and I think that is what makes it difficult. When I make something up in my head I just know what to do next, but with a pattern you have to figure out what someone else is trying to say. Does that make sense? I'm learning to use patterns to teach myself some discipline.

Tiffany said...

My two cents on patterns...if you work better not following the instructions than go for it! I rarely use the instructions anymore unless it's something complex. It's much more relaxing than juggling your fabric, pins, machine, pattern pieces plus this big ol paper with instructions. I use Ottobre a lot and the instructions are all in paragraph form so you spend half the day finding your place! lol!
You get enough discipline with school. Pattern instructions are like poking yourself in the eye. lol!

Miss Riya said...

POKE....POKE....POKE.....GEE YOUR RIGHT TIFF....IT DOES SORT OF FEEL THE SAME! LOL