Update:


In case you haven't noticed, there is an additional child in our family photo. I would like you all to meet the newest member of our family. She is the pretty little 7 year old in the purple dress. "Eloise" now has a little sister. We have decided to call her, "Amelia Bedelia".

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Days Gone By.....

As I was sitting and reading the paper this morning I was reminded of a recipe I tried to save from a previous paper. I'm not sure what happened to it. My daughter may have turned it into a beautiful work of art or the rabbit might have done her business on it...God only knows in this house. At any rate, the inter net is a wonderful resource. I was able to retrieve it.

My life is very full and hectic so I won't be pretentious..... I often rely on shortcuts like ready-made bread, chopped frozen vegetables, and canned items. Occasionally I manage to squeeze a project in just for the fun of it. I love to attempt making things from "scratch," so I decided that every now and then when I try something that is not so modern, I will post about it. These little bits will be posted under the title, "Days Gone By."

So without further ado......My first "scratch" project will be home-made mayonnaise....here goes...


Mama's Mayonnaise
(The Times Picayune Aug. 7, 2008)
makes a little over a cup
1 Large Egg (from my organic friend Plain Old Kristi)
1 TBS Vinegar or Fresh Lemon Juice
Pinch of Sugar
1C. Vegetable Oil
Salt & Ground pepper to taste
In an electric blender or food processor ( I used my mini-chopper for this small batch,) blend the egg and the vinegar or lemon juice for about 30 seconds.

Add the sugar and then pulse once or twice


With the processor running, slowly pour the oil through the feed tube. The mixture will thicken. Season with salt and pepper and pulse once or twice to blend.

Empty contents into an air tight container and refrigerate for at least 30 min. before using.
**NOTE: Since this is made with raw eggs, it is best to use the mayo within 24 hours (hence the small batch.) Also, be aware that very young children, the elderly, or people with certain medical problems should avoid consuming raw eggs. Be sure to store in AIR TIGHT container.
****My personal note: don't bother tasting it until it has chilled for at least 30 min and all the ingredients have settled. If you do, all you will taste is oil. Later this evening after sampling, I will edit this post and let you know how it tastes on a sandwich. See Ya Later Alligator!
WELL I TRIED IT. I MUST ADMIT......EITHER I DID SOMETHING WRONG OR I'M JUST NOT THAT IMPRESSED WITH THIS RECIPE. IT'S NOT TERRIBLE, BUT I PREFER BLUE PLATE OR BAMA. I'M NOT GIVING UP THOUGH. SOME REALLY RESPECTABLE CHEFS RAVE ABOUT HOME-MADE MAYO. AT LEAST I KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT NOW. I THINK IT WOULD BE GOOD AS A BASE FOR RANCH MIX OR OTHER RECIPES THAT CALL FOR MAYO. I MAY EVEN TRY MAKING A BATCH WITH OLIVE OIL.

No comments: