Update:


In case you haven't noticed, there is an additional child in our family photo. I would like you all to meet the newest member of our family. She is the pretty little 7 year old in the purple dress. "Eloise" now has a little sister. We have decided to call her, "Amelia Bedelia".

Friday, May 30, 2008

Good Intentions....


I have been hearing a bird squawking for a couple of days. I did not pay much attention to it until today when we were doing yard work. I noticed that the sounds were coming from the drain grate in the street. I looked down through the little slits in the grate and noticed a little bird. My daughter and I were very upset so we summonsed the strength of my husband and a few neighbors to rescue the poor little baby bird. We carried the squawking baby to the back yard and made a makeshift nest in the shade. My husband and daughter dug up some worms and fed it. I was happy that we were able to rescue it until to my horror......as I was glancing out the front window I spotted the mother bird returning with a worm for baby! She squeezed through the grate and then popped right back out frantically searching for her little one. My heart sank. We meant well. Now what were we to do?!? The good news is....about a half an hour later as I peeked out my back window I saw the mother checking on her baby. She flew back and forth between a tree and the temporary nest. When we got home from church tonight they were both gone. I'm sure she somehow managed to transplant it somewhere. I'm just glad she found her baby and that she would still touch it even though it had been handled by humans.
;-)













5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am glad to see the birdies have decided to make St. Bernard there home too. We got some down here too. It was so cute to see 3 baby birdies from birth until the big day in a big world. Nature is beautiful!!!

Kristi said...

Poor little bird!! You baby bird knapper you! Your hearts just too big. Nature has a way of ripping out your heart. Like the turtle by my Dad's house that was trying to defend its nest as a racoon devoured it's eggs. Keep up with the herd or you'll be lion food baby.

JeanSkirtGirl said...

hey my day save him he jump in the hole and I help to!!

meboo said...

I was told by my orinthology teacher that birds will come back to their babies even if they are touched by humans. I guess she was right.

meboo said...

Sorry, meant ornithology